1. 4.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Blueshirts Bringing Nasty Back?

I confess: When I read Larry Brooks' column today, I jumped up from my desk and did a "Happy Dance" around my office. Frankly, the thought of Sean Avery returning to the Rangers makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.

The Rangers have a few desperate needs: a proven sniper, a cure for Wade Redden and Dimitri Kalinin, and a heapin' helpin' of sand...grit...jam...whatever you want to call it. Sean Avery will never be confused with a sniper and he's not a defenseman, but he definitely meets the Blueshirts' third need. While I had hoped that Aaron Voros would fill the void left by Avery, he's come up short thus far. Ryan Callahan has sand, but not enough to really spark his team. And this is a team in dire need of a spark.

Not everyone is on board with the idea of Avery returning to New York. In my humble opinion, the New York naysayers, just like the nattering nabobs of negativity in Dallas, just can't handle the truth:



The Rangers want Avery on the ice. They need Avery on the ice. They can't squeeze a decent sniper under the cap without parting with assets they really shouldn't give up, and no GM in his right mind would take Wade Redden and his abomination of a contract, so Sean Avery appears to present the best opportunity to address a critical need this season.

A final thought: When Sean Avery heard the news that he might be returning to the City That Never Sleeps, did this song (or, more specifically, the chorus of this song) immediately come to mind?



Take me back to On Goal Analysis

No comments: